We want your self-drive holiday to go as smoothly and as safely as possible. Iceland is known for rapidly changing weather and conditions you may not be accustomed to. It is therefore very important to prepare accordingly. Here are some of our top points for safe driving on the roads in Iceland!
1. There are several narrow roads in Iceland, so make sure you drive slowly and take special care with oncoming cars.
2. Your insurance does not cover any damages from driving off road or in water, you have been warned!
3. You will feel the difference between driving on asphalt and on gravel, so be aware to slow down when making this change on the road.
4. Highland roads are only for special cars- unless it's specified that your car can travel on highland roads, don't risk it!
5. Sometimes animals will be grazing or crossing nearby the roads, keep an eye out for stray animals en route.
6. There are several blind hills or blind summits in Iceland- slow down when you're approaching one.
7. You may be prepared for ice or snowstorms, but sandstorms also occur in Iceland, so avoid driving in very windy conditions.
8. 24 hour sunlight means drivers can get tired more easily, especially when you've been driving all day and it's not dark yet! Avoid long hauls, take regular breaks and if you need to, a 15 minute nap always helps out.
9. If there's a particular attraction or bit of landscape you want to see, pull over and get out of the car to see it! Sightseeing whilst driving can distract the driver and cause rollovers- so make sure you take time out to do your tourist activities.
10. Always, always check the weather before heading out! If you are unsure, ask at the hotel reception about the expected weather conditions for each day as this may affect the route for the day.
Have you had a look at our top 10 Handy Tips for Self Drive this summer? Take a look at our expert advise here and make sure you are fully prepared for your holidays and how to make most of it!
USEFUL WEBSITES AND FURTHER INFORMATION:
|Weather||Passport and Visa||Inspired By Iceland|
|Northern Lights Forecast||Visit Iceland||Iceland Map|
|Exchange Rate||Visit Reykjavik||Iceland News|
STAY IN TOUCH! WE ARE HERE TO HELP DURING YOUR TRIP OR IF YOU HAVE ANY LAST MINUTE QUESTIONS!
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us. Our Iceland Travel Specialists are her to help and will answer any queries you may have. We also love to hear from our guests during their trip in Iceland. Social Media is a great way to stay in touch, drop us a line or share a photo from your travels on our Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest pages.
Should you have any questions or need assistance during your trip we are on hand to help.